Five Ways To Save Money In Your Divorce
Consider these 5 tips to save money on your attorney fees during your divorce.
- Give your attorney all requested documents and information in a timely manner. Every time your attorney has to remind you costs you money and delays the process.
- Avoid arguing with your spouse while the divorce is pending. The more time your attorney has to spend resolving disputes means more attorney fees and once again delays the process.
- Be open to settlement options such as mediation. Having your day in court is expensive and potentially costly if the judge rules against you.
- Do not argue over dividing minor items of personal property. The court will value these items based on what they would bring at a garage sale or an auction and not what you paid for them. Often new replacement items will cost less than fighting for possession of the old items your spouse took. Make copies of family photos and share holiday decorations.
- Discuss your financial concerns with your attorney at the start of the case. Develop a plan with your attorney on how to handle case strategy, obtaining documents, and communications to minimize costs. While many things can happen that your attorney cannot control that will increase fees, you can discuss options to try to reduce fees.
The attorneys at Vonderheide & Knecht have over 65 years of family law experience. If you find yourself needing a divorce, you should immediately hire an experienced family law attorney that you can trust such as those at Vonderheide & Knecht because you have a lot at stake on the outcome.